Stamping of a Steel Gear Housing for the Timing Motor Industry
A customer in the timing motor industry needed a gear housing reengineered to better suit its application. At G&M Manufacturing we specialize in stamping which was an ideal solution for the customer’s needs. We worked with the customer’s specifications and CAD drawings to combine 2 parts, eliminating one of the parts and the assembly operation. We utilized our 100 ton capacity Minster straight side press to manufacture the part and vapor degreaser to clean the part. The .041" thick 1008 drawing quality electrogalvanized steel part with overall dimensions of 2.5" x 1.7" x .8", and was completed in one progressive die operation. This part acts as housing and poles for a timing motor.
At G&M Manufacturing, quality is a priority; during the manufacturing process both custom gages and OGP vision system measured the housing to ensure the customer’s specifications were met, including tolerances as straight as ±.001". This part is produced at a volume of 400,000 pieces annually for Midwest USA customer. This project showcases our ability to apply multiple processes and reengineer parts to best suit our customer’s needs. To learn more about this project or the processes used to manufacture it, see the table below or contact us directly.
Stamping of a Steel Gear Housing Project Details
- Product Description
- Part was reengineered with customer to combine two parts, eliminating the need for one of the parts and the assembly operation. This part acts as a housing and the poles for a timing motor. The part is stamped in one progressive die in one operation.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Progressive Drawn Stamping
- Vapor Degreasing
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- 100 ton Minster straight side press, vapor degreaser
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 2.500" long 1.700" wide, 0.800" high
- Tightest Tolerances
- ± 0.001"
- Material Used
- 1008 Drawing Quality Electrogalvanized Steel
- Thickness: 0.0410"
- Material Finish
- Mill Electrogalvanized
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Custom Gages
OGP Vision System
- Industry for Use
- Timing Motor Industry
- 400,000 Annually
- Delivery Location
- Midwest, USA
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, CAD Drawings
- Product Name
- Gear Housing